I AM SO EXCITED. Today’s the day I get to share a Life’s Awkward episode with one of my favorite jewelry designers — Amanda Deer.
Last year, I visited Austin to see if I wanted to move here after college full-time. While I was in Austin, I researched different jewelry designers in the area to check out. If you’ve been following me for a while, you may know that I am a HUGE jewelry fan. Back in the day, I even worked at a jewelry store for about three years.
As I got older, my interest in handmade gold jewelry grew. I’m always on the search for gold pieces that last through the wear and tear of my everyday life (+ that don’t cost an arm and a leg) — Amanda Deer was just that. Shortly after finding her shop on Google, I ordered an Uber and headed that way. It was in East Austin (another area I wanted to check out anyway).
When I arrived it was SO cute. Most jewelry places like this don’t have a storefront like hers anymore. Amanda has a cute store with all their best sellers laying out. That day, I walked out with three bracelets I never took off and three rings.
Now, I live in Austin, just a few minutes away from Amanda’s store. Whenever I am looking for new cute and dainty jewelry pieces, I find myself at Amanda’s store. If you’re in the area and are looking for some new staple jewelry pieces, stop by Amanda Deer’s storefront, or check out her Etsy, Instagram, website, and even the American Jewelry Association if you’re looking to start your own line.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Introduction to Amanda and starting her jewelry line 0:38
- Amanda’s awkward moment 3:02
- Amanda’s marketing career that turned into her passion project 6:14
- Amanda’s educational achievements 10:55
- Working as a marketing director 12:41
- How and where to source jewelry materials 13:40
- Tips to pricing your jewelry line 15:50
- Tracking + learning about customer trends 17:47
- Starting your jewelry brand on Etsy 19:52
- Etsy tricks to boost your product rankings 22:10
- Converting your Etsy customers to long-term customers 24:10
- The value of in-store experience + exclusive discounts 25:47
- Tips to keeping your customers happy 26:44
- When you know it’s time to hire a team + rent a studio 29:05
- Amanda’s advice for taking their passion full-time 37:12
- Learning the tricks of the trade when starting your business 45:28
- The value in growing your network 53:35
- Amanda’s favorite items 56:30
- Things Amanda can’t live without 57:54
- The boss babe quote to live by 58:28
All products mentioned:
See you guys there!
XXXX – Kayla