After college, many of us are hit with various harsh ~ but good ~ realities. For me, it was figuring out how to focus on one job rather than 3 and school. For Melanie, that was just about the same. Not to mention, once you do have that nailed down, how do you learn about benefits, your place in the workplace, and finding your confidence?
For a little background, Melanie and I have known each other since I was in middle school. I had (and very much still am) best friends with her younger sister. After starting my blog and uncovering my passion for marketing, I started to look up to Mel, and consistently go to her about all career, lifestyle, and fashion advice. Not only has she made her impression in the corporate world, she continues to grow as a person more and more each day.
Since starting my career in Austin, TX, she has literally helped me throughout this whole entire journey. I wanted to shed some light on her story + her best tips and tricks to make an impression in the workplace, know your worth, and gain confidence.
I would love to bring Mel on again in the future to dig deep into her health + fitness journey, work-life balance, and tips to always doing 110%.
You can find Mel on LinkedIn and her Instagram. She’s more than happy to check out resumes and help anyone that wants or needs it. Not to mention, you can have a cute camera roll of her two doggoes named Mischa and Milo posted all over her Instagram.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Melanie’s most awkward date story with tall dude 3:34
- How Melanie found out Sales was where she should be 8:09
- The harsh realities of getting your first job post-college 11:48
- How to find your value in the workplace 15:45
- What brought Melanie to California for college 18:57
- Why Austin was the post-college move 20:28
- Switching between corporate departments + when to take the leap 23:40
- Making an imprint in the workplace + getting a raise 27:28
- Mel’s thoughts asking questions + making mistakes 32:43
- Tips to negotiating a raise + doing it confidently 39:00
- How to find the right company with the right benefits 42:27
- Must read boss babe books to read post-college 49:10
- Morning routines, stellar boss babe lifestyle tips + product favs 53:29
All products mentioned:
If you’d like to share your triumphs from your first job post-college, join our community on Facebook and subscribe to this podcast for a built-in boss babe community.
See you guys there!
XXXX – Kayla